First day arrival in The Netherlands as an expat, what to do?
As an expat, your first day in the Netherlands can be exciting, yet overwhelming. Here are some steps you can take to get started:
- Settle into your accommodation: Make sure your temporary housing is set up and equipped with everything you need. Unpack your belongings and get comfortable.
- Familiarize yourself with the area: Take a walk around your neighborhood, find the nearest grocery store, ATM, and public transportation.
- Open a bank account: Most banks in the Netherlands require proof of address, so make sure you have this in order.
- Get a SIM card: Make sure you have a reliable means of communication and internet access.
- Register at the city hall: If you're planning on staying for an extended period, you'll need to register with the city hall.
- Explore the city: Take a walking tour or take a trip on a canal boat to get a feel for the city and its culture.
- Connect with others: Join social clubs, attend events, and make an effort to meet new people. This will help you feel more at home and settle into your new environment.
Remember, the process of settling into a new country takes time, so be patient and give yourself the time you need to adjust.